Sunday, March 13, 2016

A month later and finally some progress!

It's been a little over a month and we're finally making progress, thanks to my dad! We got all the drywall out and my dad was excited to come up and help (aka pretty much do it all) with building the shower pan and hanging the hardiebacker. Plus, he has a truck, which we do not, and we were super grateful to have his help and expertise.

Apparently my dad spent a lot of time watching YouTube videos on how to build a shower pan, and we got right to work.

In three days we've gone from this:



To this:

Doesn't look like much, does it? We had to add some pieces to build up the shower pan area and give something to attach the liner to, frame a recess for a shelf, and raise the height of the shower head, and install a new valve.  We also laid another sheet of plywood on top of the old one to add stability since there was some water damage.



The problem with an older house like this is that the pipes are cast iron, and replacing the drain was not easy.  Apparently back in the day they sealed the drain with lead and in order to get the old drain off we had to literally chisel out the lead.


My dad found this product called the pre-pitch kit that makes it fairly easy to get the correct pitch to the shower pan. He thought Home Depot carried it in the store, but they only sold it online, and we needed it ASAP.  Thankfully, Amazon carries it and I was able to get it in two days. 

So this is where we're at.  We have the first layer of cement poured and it has to cure for 24 hours. 



Tomorrow we'll attach the liner and pour the rest, and do the curb. He bought another kit called Kirb-Perfect that should hopefully make forming the curb pretty easy.  I honestly had no idea it would be so difficult to do this, but I can't wait to see the finished project!


No comments:

Post a Comment